August 13th -19th, 2017
This year, National Health Center Week will take place August 13th-19th. The theme of NHCW is “Celebrating America’s Health Centers: The Key to Healthier Communities.” These health centers serve over 25 million Americans in all 50 states, as well as the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and other U.S. territories; in fact, one in every fifteen people living in the U.S. depend on services provided by health centers. One of the reasons for this is that these centers provide their services to all people regardless of their insurance status or ability to pay; because of this, special and at risk populations are able to receive invaluable treatment, which is something that we here at SCHC are ecstatic about! Each day during National Health Center Week has a different theme that will address current health issues, health policy changes and community involvement. Below is a schedule for NHCW and the designated activities for each theme day:
Monday August 14th – Legislative Day (10am-1pm)
1. SCHC has invited KY’s federal, state, and local legislators to visit our facility and discuss the healthcare policy changes. They will be here for 1-2 hours to discuss Medicaid and how FQHC’s are positioned to respond to policy changes/patients’ needs. The following legislators have been invited:
- Mitch McConnell
- Rand Paul
- John Yarmuth
- Matt Bevin
- Rep. Darryl Owens
- Sen. Gerald Neal
- Greg Fischer
- Cheri Bryant-Hamilton
2. There will also be voter registration in the lobby courtesy of Kentuckians for the Commonwealth.
Tuesday, August 15th – Patient Appreciation Day (8:30am-5:00pm)
1. This day is all about our patients! We will offer giveaways and fresh fruit as they come into the clinic as a thank-you for their contribution to our clinic and community.
2. We will also have giveaways and free coloring pages for kids.
3. Tours of the medical and dental clinics will also be available!
Wednesday, August 16th – Healthy Eating Day (8:30am-5:00pm)
1. SCHC will provide our patients with fresh produce from the Community Garden of Principles. We will also provide them with healthy recipes!
2. We will have a healthy lunch provided (11am-1pm).
3. Dare to Care and Fresh Stop have been invited to provide information on their programs.
Thursday, August 17th – Prevention Day (8:30am-5:00pm)
1. SCHC will provide information about risk factors for common chronic and/or preventative diseases, as well as measures that patients can take to protect their health.
2. Statistics about the prevalence of each disease will be provided along with death rates, trends, etc.
3. Blood pressure screenings will be available to our patients free-of- charge.
4. Diseases that will be addressed include:
- Heart disease
- Cancers (from tobacco use, etc.)
- plus more
Friday, August 18th – Staff Appreciation Day
1. We will provide thank you notes for patients to show their appreciation to our staff & board.
2. Awards will be given to our staff & board during a catered luncheon!